Sunday, February 26, 2012

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes



I LOVE potatoes. Cook them any way you want and I will eat them. When I was a kid my mom made scalloped potatoes as a side dish, or added vegetables and meat and made it a meal. It is one of those comfort foods from childhood that I have missed since going vegan. Up until last night, I had not been able to master a tasty vegan recreation. I searched through different recipes for inspiration and then looked at my fridge to see what I had. The result: a creamy, perfectly seasoned, “cheesy” potato heaven. Coconut milk for baking is my favorite thing in the world and it is perfect in this recipe.

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

4 medium potatoes
1 can coconut milk (I used light coconut milk)
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
2 TBSP Corn Starch
1/3 cup vegan sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp dried cilantro
½ tsp thyme
1 cup vegan cheese (I use Daiya)
½ cup or 1 stick vegan margarine

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and oil a 9X9 or 8X12 baking pan
2. Cut potatoes in thin slices. Layer potatoes, spinach and Daiya in the baking dish. Save some cheese for the top layer.
3. In a mixing bowl combine coconut oil, corn starch, sour cream, nutritional yeast and spices. Blend well to get out any lumps.
4. Pour liquid mixture evenly over potatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheese, a bit of cilantro and salt and pepper on top.
5. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. Use a fork to test if extra time is needed.
6. Remove from oven and let set for 15 minutes before serving. (A burned tongue did not take away from the enjoyment, but I don’t recommend it to anyone else.)

Additions:
Feel free to add other vegetables, broccoli, corn, etc. Also, add in a protein of your choice, it should bake really well. We added some of Upton’s Italian Sausage Seitan and it was really delicious. If you add anything else, share to let everyone know how it works!

1 comment: