Saturday, August 11, 2012

With Brewed Cafe - CR is Finally Vegan Friendly!

I absolutely love coffee. 
In fact, I consider a nearby coffee shop vital to my happiness at work. With a new job in downtown Cedar Rapids, I didn't have to look far to find some java joy. Brewed Café just opened in the lower level of the CSPS building and I admit to being absolutely over-joyed with the food, atmosphere and coffee.

With only a few weeks clocked in at my new job, I have been to Brewed Café numerous times, and it is always a pleasant experience. (Admittedly, most of my upcoming meetings in the next few weeks are also scheduled there.) When you walk in, it is bright, cheery and welcoming. Tall windows overlook the street of the ever expanding and thriving New Bohemia district, filling the small space with natural light and a great view. 

I had the opportunity to visit with one of the managers, Nate Marsceau. He mentioned that the staff are still getting into the groove of things at the cafe. However, you would never have guessed it from the fabulous service provided. Everyone seems knowledgeable and the service is friendly and fast.

Brewed Café has great coffee as well as a simple, diverse menu. Vegan and gluten-free items are clearly marked (Hooray!!!!) You may ask yourself, “What, is this really in Cedar Rapids?” Yes, I thought the same thing when I saw the menu! Marsceau commented that an allergy-friendly menu was one of the plans in bringing additional service to patrons at Brewed. The Cafe's chef prepares food on site in the kitchen.

 The breakfast menu features a couple of gluten-free and vegan items, including granola and a breakfast cookie. There are several lunch items that are vegan or can easily be made vegan. Each evening a dinner special is featured, often times vegan friendly. I also noticed vegan and gluten-free pasta sides in the glass cooler, and other yummy offerings for on the spot snacking.

A small bar inside the cafe offers a different type of brew for the evening crowd attending a show at CSPS. Brewed Café also caters and hosts the Carlo bar upstairs during CSPS events.


I lived in Marion and worked in downtown Cedar Rapids for years before moving to the vegan-friendly Iowa City area. My fear in accepting a job in downtown Cedar Rapids again, was that I would once again be constantly frustrated at not finding good vegan friendly food or coffee. Thankfully, I found Brewed Cafe right away! With Brewed Cafe, Cedar Rapids has finally "grown up" and become a little more vegan friendly.

Here are the details:
Brewed Cafe 
1101 3rd Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
319.364.0802

 

2 comments:

  1. This cafe sounds very cool! I look forward to checking it out! Have you visited Vineria? It's a little wine shop also in Cedar Rapids. The owners are vegan, and they sell a lot of vegan specialties (and vegan wine too) in their store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy your visit to Brewed. I will definitely be checking out Vineria. Thanks for the lead on another CR Vegan hot spot!!!

    ReplyDelete