Thursday, March 24, 2011

Vegan Living in Des Moines

As a recent transplant to Des Moines, a new adventure in searching for places to eat and things to enjoy has begun!


My stomach misses Iowa City – home of all things good and vegan in Iowa. However, Des Moines has quite a few “Vegan Friendly” restaurants that I have come to enjoy.

  • Cool Basil - 8801 University Ave, Clive Iowa (50325); Great selection of Thai food and good vegetarian sushi!
  • A-Dong Restaurant – 1511 High Street, Des Moines, IA 50309-3109; Really fresh Vietnamese food, with a separate vegetarian menu!
  • Bandit Burrito – 5340 Merle Hay Road, Johnston, IA 50322; Bandit has a “Soy-Chorizo” you can add to your veggie burrito and fabulous guacamole.
  • PF Changs – 110 South Jordan Creek Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266-8141; Located next to Jordon Creek Mall, Changs has a small vegetarian menu, as well as a Gluten Free menu!
  • Ritual CafĂ© - 1301 Locust St Ste D, Des Moines Iowa (50309) (at Grand); Small menu with some great veggie selections!

Groceries – There are a few markets in town outside of Hy-Vee’s small health food section. These are the places I found that actually have good organic produce. I still travel up to Ames or back to Iowa City to hit the Co-ops and stock up on my bulk food items!

  • Trader Joes - 6305 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines Iowa (50266) (at S 64th St)
  • New City Market – 4721 University Ave, Des Moines Iowa (50314)
  • Gateway Market - 2002 Woodland Ave, Des Moines Iowa (50312)
  • Campbells Nutrition – When I arrived in Des Moines, everyone raved about Campbells. Unfortunately, it is not worth raving about if you have ever been to a co-op. The prices are high and the selection is small. I was very unimpressed, and in fact a little depressed when I first entered the store. (I think my expectations were a little too high!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found you! I'm a new vegan and I've been in Des Moines almost 2 1/2 years. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying my blog! Let me know if there is ever any information you are looking for - I am always exploring new places and trying new recipes!

    ReplyDelete